Last Updated on
My blood work came back this week. I also got copies of the blood work and other tests I have had done in previous years. Yesterday, I sat down with it all and I began looking for patterns and answers.
I’m not a happy camper. A test from a few years ago showed a definite issue with oxalates but the doctor didn’t inform me of that at the time. If I had known then what I know now…. We knew already that my adrenal issues are in the final stages of healing and my liver is sluggish and not functioning optimally. We’ve been working on those for a few years now and seeing steady improvement, even though it has been slow. Any improvement is good, considering I was close to adrenal failure at one point in 2007.
My new tests show I’m looking at thyroid problems and iron issues along with confirming the liver issues. I need more testing to get a full picture, but preliminarily it looks like we can rule out Hashimotos, which was my major concern. But it does look like I’m hypothyroid. And we haven’t even gotten to the female hormone issues yet.
I am very much in a tailspin. The thought of trying to combine low-oxalate with a low goitergen diet and the paleo auto-immune protocol leaves me wondering what to eat, because the lists don’t have a great amount of cross-over. What is generally allowed on one isn’t allowed on the other.
Trying to figure out what to eat is stressful. It’s easier not to eat, but I know that is absolutely the last thing I should do. It would be a major mistake to drop or skip meals, so I am going to focus on finding what is safe for all three and focusing on cooking three meals a day with those foods.
Where do I go from here? I honestly don’t know other than needing more blood work and a few more tests. And that’s going to take time since I will need to save up for them. Tests aren’t cheap and qualified help is very expensive, and all at a time where Jeff is under-employed and we’re having a hard time just making ends meet. So I’ll order the tests as I can, see what they say, then find a local practitioner to help me once I have all the puzzle pieces.
So I’m taking a little time to try to get on my feet while reading everything I can find to know where to go from here. I’ll share more as I learn and find my path.
In Other News
We also found out this week that Jasper’s tests did confirm that he died from Feline Infectious Peritonitis. That means the Chloe is at risk of dying from it. The vet believes she has about a 60% chance of it. We’re holding our breath that she can beat those odds, as most cats carrying FIP die before they are two. Chloe is four-and-a-half months old.